Braised vegetables in rainbow colours
1.5 l of chicken or vegetable stock
4 fresh beetroot
2 red large onions
Pour the stock into large pan large enough to hold all the vegetables.
Preheat your oven to 160C.
Peel the carrots and cut off the ends; peel the beetroots and the turnips.
Cut both ends of the courgettes, leaving the skin on and peel the onion, leaving it whole.
Bring the stock to a boil, add the vegetables and then precook them at medium heat for 15 minutes.
Drain the vegetables but keep the stock.
Put your vegetables on a large roasting tin and brush them with olive oil on both sides.
Roast the vegetables for approximately 90 minutes at 160C adding some vegetable/chicken stock over it every 20 minutes, until they become tender.
Remove them from the oven and transfer them to a serving plate or platter.
Add, salt and black pepper on top, and halve the vegetables before serving
Pumpkin cake with lemon cream cheese frosting
photo Ryan Bartley
• 200g plain flour
• 2 ½ tsp baking powder
• ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 5 eggs
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 200g brown Muscovado sugar
• 100g granulated sugar
• 300ml sunflower oil
• 125g walnuts; 65g grounded and 60g whole
• 80g raisins
• 500g pumpkin, grated
For the cream cheese frosting
• 300g of cream cheese kept at room temperature
• 1 lemon, zest and juice
• 175g icing sugar
• Orange food colouring (optional)
• Grease and line a 25cm spring form cake tin
• Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon
• Whisk the eggs and combine them with the vanilla, sugars and oil in a large bowl
• Fold in the flour mixture
• Fold in the ground walnuts, the raisins, and the grated pumpkin
• Bake for 45 minutes at 180C (fan oven)
• For the frosting, beat the cream cheese, lemon juice and zest with the icing sugar and a bit of orange food colouring if using.
• When the cake is cool, top with the frosting and decorate with a few whole walnuts